21 December 2006

What begins with P?

OK, a great little Blogger I know called La Fille Mariee has set me a challenge. She has tagged me to list 10 things I love that begin with the letter P. She was tagged by another Blogger and she was given the letter B.

While I love a game, I’m not sure I necessarily love 10 anythings, let alone 10 things beginning with P.

Here goes (in no particular order):

Pudding. Chocolate pudding. Summer pudding. Yorkshire pudding. I don’t really care what kind of pudding it is, but I know I’ll love it. I’ve had a sweet tooth for as long as I’ve been alive and take me to any restaurant and the first thing I look at is the dessert menu. I judge restaurants (and friends) by their puddings: If it ain’t great, I ain’t stopping.

Pulp Fiction. This is a bit of a cheat actually. I did enjoy this film, but the reason why I have mentioned it is because one of my favourite songs of all time is on the soundtrack. Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield is a timeless song and always makes me smile. I’m not a particularly deep person when it comes to song lyrics, but when the first bar of this song kicks in, my knees go weak.

Politeness. Where would I be without politeness? I wouldn’t exist. My mum instilled into me and my sister a philosophy of always being polite; always smiling; always doing whatever it takes to make someone else happy. There have been times (too many to mention) when my politeness has meant I’ve missed out on something or I’ve been taken for a ride, but my own mantra has become: Never be rude to the rude person. The ruder someone gets to me, the more polite I become. People should say please and thank you more.

Penis. The penis. I have one. I touch it every day. I like other men’s penises. I don’t touch them enough.

Puttanesca. This is more a reference to a show that many people love (and many others will groan about): Sex and the City. It seems that every single gal and lavender boy is a ‘true fan’ of this show and knows it inside out. Me and my pals are the same and we can quote like no one’s business. In series four, Charlotte offers to make a ‘fabulous puttanesca’ for Miranda’s baby shower. It took us years to find out what this actually is and when she discovered it, top gal pal (and quoting legend) Dame Saskia of Pinkdom made one for me and Snow. Turns out it’s this amazing spaghetti dish with anchovies and tomato and garlic. It should go on anyone’s Best Ten list. P or otherwise.

Perseverance. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. This is something I stand by. I never give up. I teach myself things and if I get it wrong, I try again. Everyone should have a little bit more perseverance. If we all tried just a little bit harder, we’d all have much more fun.

Pure Garage. Garage. Speed Garage. UK Garage. Two-Step. Four to the Floor. Dub-Step. Breakbeat Garage. US Garage. Soulful Garage. Dance music is a crazy beast and every three weeks someone wants to re-label an existing genre. Garage used to be underground. Then it went overground. Luck and Neat were on Top of the Pops, for heaven’s sake. If anything credible goes overground, it’s essentially the end. Garage died in 2002, but it’s still bubbling on the underground scene, where it belongs. While Pure Garage was a commercial attempt to make money, the compilation CDs in this range have had all of my favourite tracks on them. There was Pure Garage 1,2,3,4 and 5, Platinum, Breaks, Bass and Beats, Classics – the list goes on. Get yourself a Pure Garage compilation and be educated.

Pimlico. When I first moved to London, I wanted to live in Pimlico. It just sounds nice. Pimlico. I have since been there and I know I’ll never live there, but I love the word.

Pretence. I read somewhere that we’re only ever happy when daydreaming about future happiness. That’s true enough – my new job sounds like the answer to all my prayers: I’ll be doing the job I want to do in Soho, I’ll have more money and I’ll finally be working on a magazine and not in financial publishing anymore. But when I actually start, I’ll have lots of things to moan about and the novelty will have worn off (I’m giving it three weeks) and then it’ll just be any old job. What really makes me happy is pretending to be someone else, rather than thinking about things I’m actually going to do. I pretend to be all sorts of people, changing it on an almost daily basis. I pretend to be a Hollywood film star; I pretend to be a stand up comedian, lauded by critics and the public alike; I pretend to be someone charitable who enjoys doing things for those less fortunate; I pretend to be a millionaire and spend all the money in my head. The plus point about pretending is that you’ll never actually achieve that dream and so there’s no danger of it becoming boring. Today I am pretending to be a Blogger who has written a hilariously funny post on all the things he loves beginning with the letter P. There’s no danger of it happening, so I can be happy forever.

Philip Olivier. I saved the best till last. Just look at this picture to see what I mean. No words would do him justice. He is, in fact, the best thing in the world that begins with the letter P.

That was hard work and I think I now deserve a couple of pints down the pub with some great people, stopping off for a pie and chips on the way home.

I shouldn’t have to suffer alone, so I am now passing on the tagging baton to the following lucky bleeders:

Tequila Mockingbird – the letter T
Redboy – the letter L
Hannah Banana – the letter S
Soul Seared Dreamer – the letter J
Eileen Dover – the letter M

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My, oh, my - that is a very nice body on that young man.

Anonymous said...

The word puttanesca somehow turns me on. Why?

Well, done DB. You are both prompt and obedient in following my instructions(qualities precious to la fille). You didn't need to say penis 10 times after all.

Eileen Dover said...

Well, I fulfilled my duties of the day!

Mmm...Puttanesca! Yes, it's SO good and I'm not a 'chovy fan, either.

Redboy said...

Lads: My first choice has to be ‘lads’, or ‘blokey-blokes’ as my friend Arran calls them. I am gay because I ilke Men, proper, work on a building site geezers! There’s something a bout muscles earned through hard work which makes them far superior than the ersatz kind from the gym. A naturally toned lad, kitted out in tracksuit and Reebok trainers is all I want for Christmas!

Lavender. ‘Gentleman of the Lavender persuasion’ a fab phrase. Witty, fun and charming – all the things a good gay should be!

Lesley. My mum really is my best friend and I credit her for making me the lavender boy I am! We have the same sense of humour and an easily spend hours chatting away! While my dad and brother were watching Grandstand I was usually out shopping with her! She instilled in me a flair for fashion and a taste for men. Mother, I thank you!

Literature. I feel lost without a good book on the go. From The Buddha Of Suburbia and Tales Of The City, which got me through my early adolescent years – I used to imagine I was living the same life as Michael and Mona. To beautifully written ones such as The God Of Small Things and Nigella’s cook books with their lusciously-yummy language: Books are best! I think this choice sums up my love of fantasy and a need for escapism!



Luhrmann, Baz. His films are so stunningly magical. Moulin Rouge has to be the most aesthetically-pleasing, glitterball-camp film ever. He chooses just the right sound track as well as the best actors. Clare Danes was a little known actor from ‘My So Called Life’ fame before Romeo And Juliet catapulted her to superstardom; Leo was at his most stunning. And who could forget (or forgive) the use of Kylie as the magic fairy?

London. I do love our Capital City. Every time I walk along Old Compton St I feel at home, despite living 10-odd miles away (Ok, that’s probably because I am gay). I don’t want to sound like Ken, but London really is so vibrant and full of such a sparkling-mix of people. I am awe-struck when ever I walk across the bridge from Parliament to the South Bank. Equally I love the rough-and-ready feel places like Stoke Newington and Brixton possess. I really could live here forever and not get bored!

Liquor. For these purposes this will include all alcoholic beverages, especially red wine. I do love a tipple, as soon as I have had a few I feel a twitch in my feet and I am straight on the dance-floor! Going out with my friends and being mischievous, flirting with boys and having a riotous time are all enhanced by a few stiff ones!
My name is RedBoy and I am an alcoholic!

Life.
Notstaligic: Life is the name of the gay bar where I live. I had my first boy-on-boy kiss there. Well, I was a boy – 17 – my leg was shaking; he was old – 28!
Corney:. I do love living! Having ambition and fun are the essence of being alive! Looking to the future, daydreaming (in the same vain as D.B’s pretence) music, friends: Joie-de-verve - a quality everyone should aim for!

Locks. When I was a teenager my hair was the bane of my life – it was think, brown and curly. Oh, how I envied my friends with their blond, straight hair (no, I did not grow up in Sweden). Ten years on, the majority of them are receding, while mine is still thick and now, with a little help from GHD, straight!

Lasagne. My mum’s lasagne is my favourite dish, it is comfort eating at its best! It’s truly is delicious! The rubber-ready-made stuff from the supermarket turns my stomach, and the closest I have got to tasting one as good as her’s was not in Italy, but a scabby little cafĂ© on Bethnal Green Road.

Redboy said...

Was I supposed to post my answers here?

Denim Boy said...

Qenny: Yes, that is a nice body. This is why I am dating Philip Olivier. (He doesn't know about this.)

LFM: I aim to please, my love. Why do work when I can blog? I was thinking about penises the whole time, though.

Eileen: You too are obedient, so well done. But how can you not love the 'chovies?

RB: No, my love, you should have put it as a post on your own blog. But never fear, the answers were all fab, so it doesn't matter. You chose lads, London, liquor and lavender. There ain't nothing wrong with any of that!

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

J? I'm hurt.

Couldn't think of anything traditional beginning with J so I cheated slightly. Check it out.

Eileen Dover said...

Darling, I don't do 'chovies because as a teen I worked in a gourmet pizza store, and have not-so-fond memories of pulling apart those slimy little shits to put on pizza.

Plus, I don't eat anything with more than four legs, or less than two. (And that includes one-legged men.)

Mummy said...

I heart your Sex and the City references ... great list

(i came via eileen)

Unknown said...

Hey there have a really great christmas. I think this tagging thing is going everywhere, so you have guessed it I am going to do it to you. Though I will excuse you if you can't be bothered after the p thing.

This should be easier. Christmas wishes.
http://bryndlewindle.blogspot.com/2006/12/christmas-tagging.html

Have a great christmas
Bryn x

Denim Boy said...

SSD: Oh honey, cheat all you like if you're posting pictures like that. What a way to start the day!

ED: Point taken. Must feel for all the one-legged men you're not going to eat. Poor bastards.

Joie Devivre: Welcome to you. You can't leave my blog - you're the Chrysler Building!

Bryn: Hey there, thanks for choosing me, but I hope you don't mind if I give the tagging thing a miss second time round. But season's greetings to you, too x

Han said...

Mmm, let me have a think...