04 December 2006

Skint, single and proud

A rather down and miserable Dame Saskia of Pinkdom sent me an email regarding a mutual friend this morning.

The mutual friend, Little Miss Spoilt, was telling Dame Saskia all the gory details of her wedding plans for next summer. There was talk of rings costing £3,000 each, the dress being somewhere in the region of £5,000 and the mother of the bride is reported to be spending £2,000 on her outfit.

Dame Saskia was down because her wedding and honeymoon combined came in at less than five grand. And then there was the fact that Little Miss Spoilt is earning stacks more money than us for doing less than half the work and her
fiancé is clearing more than double mine and Dame Saskia's wages combined.

The point that she seemed not to notice though, was that The
Fiancé is not letting Little Miss Spoilt attend the work Christmas party she organised simply because partners are not invited and he doesn't think it's right.

What I got from that story was simply that he is in control of her life and won't let her out of his sight.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot. I know that money does buy you happiness (a new pair of Levi's and an iPod Nano would do wonders for my temperament), but I really would rather be on my own and in the financial cul-de-sac I am currently in than have all that money and let some man dictate what I do, regardless of how much interest he earns on his stocks and shares.

Give me singledom in poverty any day.

No comments: