07 December 2006

Green with Envy

Snow's one-woman pad in Crouch End is starting to look like something she could call home. She moved in on Sunday and has spent most of the week so far decorating and cleaning.

She called in sick on Tuesday so she could get a head start on the painting. I also had the day off (actually because I got so blind drunk on Monday night with Law Girl that I could barely remember by own name, and as I am being made redundant - don't know if I mentioned that - I thought I might as well have a day off), so in the afternoon, I popped round and gave her a hand with the masking tape and paint brush.

While we waited for the paint (Mellow Sage - very Carrie Bradshaw's apartment*) to dry, we jumped in her motor and sped around North London looking for affordable furniture to adorn her studio.

We did the rounds of Homebase, B&Q and Ikea (getting stuck in monumental traffic on the A10 and North Circular throughout - which wasn't really a problem as Shine FM was playing some wicked tunes, and not a Girls Aloud song in sight!), and got some great bits. As of this morning, the paint is dry and she says she's just about ready to let people see it.

I am seriously proud of her for branching out on her own. She was in a long-term relationship for 4 years and before that we shared flats for 4 years, so she's never actually lived on her own.

She got some fantastic picture frames, mirrors, curtains and shelves, and while I am pleased for her, in the back of my mind I am super green with envy. As we walked around the shops, I was spotting things that I've planned to get just as soon as I can make the break into my own studio heaven.

I know I need to get another job sorted before I can think about home furnishings, but I already have in mind the antique wooden chair I will use as a bedside table, and I know just which Bakelite telephone is going to rest on my back issues of Vogue, GQ and Vanity Fair.


* I know the paint is 'very Carrie Bradshaw's apartment' because Snow spent four and a half hours mooching around the 'virtual tour' of the girls' apartments on the Sex and the City official website for inspiration!

2 comments:

Antique Telephones said...

Which Bakelite telephone is going to rest on your back issues ?

Denim Boy said...

The 1930s Bakelite Internal Bell would be ideal.