13 December 2006

I'd dump my friends for it

It's December and for some of my friends, that means Birthday Time as well as Christmas. Snow celebrates her birthday on Christmas Day itself, and my sister, Emmy Lou, has her day on the 29th. Both of them are unlucky enough to only ever get one present from people who say it's "Christmas and birthday combined".

Another of my best lady friends, Scarlet, is celebrating (or commiserating) her turning 27 tomorrow. She has an evening of dancing planned for Saturday night with everyone in town invited, but for tomorrow evening, it's a select number of close friends who are invited for some cocktails and nibbles in her favourite bar and it's all going to be very 'exciting'.

I like to make an effort on people's birthdays and really believe that whatever the birthday girl (or boy) wants to do is what counts and I'll always be there no matter what, whether it's a dance-off or a karaoke marathon or just a nice meal somewhere.

However, this year, I might have to go against everything I stand for and not actually turn up. You see, Rude Boyz, Vauxhall's biggest and best Scally night at Fire, is holding its Mr Rude Boyz 2007 'Grand Scally Final' tomorrow night. It'll be wall-to-wall scally and there'll be more Adidas trackie bottoms than a scally-fancier would know what to do with.

As if that wasn't enough to make a geezer-loving Mary ditch his best friend on her birthday, thus ending their 16-year friendship, the final will be presented by none other than my boyfriend (in my head, at least), Phil Olivier. And he's giving away signed copies of his 2007 calendar to the first 200 through the doors.

I need to have a long, hard think about what Scarlet's actually done for me, because I wouldn't want to miss it.

Who needs old school friends anyway?

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Mayhap you'll be taken unexpectedly ill...with something very exotic...so could you get bitten by a tse-tse fly today and be ill in time to send your regrets?

Anonymous said...

Quite simply, if you're trying to conceive, don't attempt coitus around Feb/ March time unless you have a feeling you'll hate your unborn child, or you're just cheap.

And as for the rest of your post, is this a contest for Liverpudlian lookalikes? Or some kind of deviant counter-culture showboating???

Denim Boy said...

Jocelyn: I hadn't thought about an exotic illness, so thanks for the tip. I have to call the friend in a mo, so I will practise my 'on death's door' voice and hope she takes the bait.

Fweng: Do what my parents did second time round and get pissed on New Year' Eve and then have your baby in September, like I was born.

As for the Scallies - there is a slight whiff of the Scouser in the way they look, but they mostly come from Penge and the appeal is in their ultra-heterosexuality. Even though they're all bent as arseholes. And they mostly listen to garage. And smoke B&H or Lambert & Butler.