15 December 2006

Go West (End)

OK, time to get over the Christmas blues and spread some good news, I think.

I've got a new job. Hoo-fucking-ray! The ghost of Christmas Redundant will not need to visit me and I won't have to eat Tesco value beans from the can.

It all happened rather fast and it hasn't really sunk in yet. Since the
redundo situation was announced, I have been applying for many, many editorial positions and as the competition is so fierce, none of them responded.

I got a call last Thursday from one of the jobs I was really interested in and she sprung a 20 minute telephone interview on me. Then she asked me to come in on the Friday for a face-to-face one with her and the publisher. That lasted an hour and a half (unusual for me as I normally perform so badly at interviews that I'm out within 30 minutes) and involved a serious grilling and a couple of sub-editing tests.

That went well and they asked me back for a second interview on Wednesday of this week with the same people and also the editor. Another hour and a half later and I was positive I wanted the job.

They called yesterday and offered it to me. And I accepted.

For the first time in months, I have some good news and haven't stopped smiling. The people seem really nice, the work will be hard but rewarding and the best bit of all is that I can finally ditch the SE1 postcode of the South Bank as their offices are based in W1. So I will become a fully-fledged Soho Mo.

As if that wasn't good enough, even though I am going before the Redundancy Fairy was due to visit and drag me kicking and screaming from the building, I still get the full pay-off they were offering.

So what with the new job starting in a month, I will be able to use the pay-out to clear my overdraft and pay my car loan off*, leaving me free to move out of the sticks and back to London Town, baby!

I will definitely stop moaning for the rest of Christmas now.



* This is obviously never going to happen. The money will be spent on a new iPod, a whole new wardrobe to start my new job in Soho, a laptop, some Converse trainers, a few new pairs of jeans, some CDs from eBay, plenty of Clinique skin care products and whatever else I can spunk the cash on in as short a time as possible.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spunk the cash? Eurgh. I am happy you have finally found a good job. Sounds like a good industry too. And Soho will suit you down to a tee, you big Homme.

See? Positive things happen to posi... nah, that's all shit.
Random stuff happens. The End.

Denim Boy said...

I had better get laid, that's all I'm saying.

Anonymous said...

I told you, I know gayers.

Denim Boy said...

Then please get them to hang around the corner of Beak Street and Gt Pulteney Street on 15 January.

And make sure they wear nice jeans.

Anonymous said...

Would you two stop pimping for each other (or whatever the hell it is you're doing in this public forum)?

DB, I am so, so proud of you! Way to go, in fact! I'm feeling positively maternal in the extent of my pride. Yippee for you! Really!

Denim Boy said...

Thanks, LFM. It will be scary fun.

As for the pimping, I think a few gentlemen of the lavender persuasion in exchange for some bitches is a fair swap.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Good on ya Buddy.

I'm so happy for you. Finally caught a break huh? Pity about the selfish friend - it's completely unacceptable her putting her needs before yours.