31 October 2006

How was it for you?

Aside from the calendar of the year, what else did I get up to at the weekend? Well, the trip to the theatre was as good as I could've expected. Ashlee Simpson was playing Roxie Hart, but more importantly, Brenda from X Factor was playing Mama Morton and she brought the house down. Everyone screamed when she sang and she got the most applause at the end. Read it and weep, Simpson.

The most exciting thing after that was my cinema trip on Saturday afternoon. I went to see Step Up with Snow and we both fell in love with the main star. It's a typically cheesey story about a break dancing boy from the wrong side of town who falls for a middle class girl at dance school. Will he help her inject some tough street moves into her classical showcase? Will she get her big break? Will he inject something else into her? Who cares - so long as he gets that defined torso out and parades around the screen once every five minutes in nothing more than a tight pair of shorts, I couldn't care less what happens in the story. Thank the Lord for Channing Tatum and all of his muscles - each and every one of them.

To top it all off, we went dancing on Sunday. I'm not sure what's happened to us, but since we moved from being 'early-to-mid-twenties' to 'mid-to-late-twenties', we seem to have lost all traces of rhythm. Back in the day when we were 19, Snow was a podium dancer in clubs up and down London and I was a passionate clubber, busting it and attending street dance classes. We hit 27 and POOF! Neither of us can dance anymore. I think it might have had something to do with my long, grey winkle pickers, but rather than cut a dashing shape across the dance floor, I ended up looking rather like my dad. But slimmer. And not as drunk.

Still, everyone else was pretty wasted, so I can't imagine anyone even knew we were there. Let's hope not.

I now plan on spending the rest of the afternoon thinking up different combinations of me, Philip Olivier and Channing Tatum in various states of undress. Yum.

2 comments:

JimmyD said...

THANK YOU! Whenever I tell people I don't dance anymore they think I'm mad. "You use to dance all the time."
Now I feel like a scarecrow. I'm 6'4" . This all happened about the time I hit 27 or 28.
Also THANK YOU for bringing my attention to one Mr Philip Olivier. mmmmm... but... I know you've called Dibs. He's all yours. Throw me the leftovers?

Denim Boy said...

JimmyD: Hey, welcome, Jimmy.

I'm not sure whether it's biological, but there seems to be something about the age 27 and the inability to look good on a dance floor. I hope Justin Timberlake doesn't suffer the same affliction in a couple of years.

I wouldn't be able to cope with giving leftovers of Phil to anyone, but I don't mind if you want to have fun with Channing Tatum, I really don't.