17 October 2006

Suits You

"Nice whistle."

That's what they'll all be saying. Why? Because I bought myself a new suit yesterday. I have a pending interview and I desperately needed to get some new threads.

I do have a suit that I use for interviews, but it's truly awful. I bought it with my mum a couple of years ago and it was a panic purchase at the end of a very long day. I'm sure some people wouldn't even mind it, but for me, it just ain't good enough - baggy jacket, trousers that are high-waisted, thick wool mix - the list goes on.

Interviews are my biggest nightmare and there's no way to erase the bad first impression made by a baggy suit. So last night after work, I headed off to Topman Oxford Circus and got myself a new whistle.

I steered clear of the run-of-the-mill offerings and headed over to the Skinny Fit suits. I found a grey Mod suit with narrow lapels and slim fit trousers, but they didn't have any trousers in my size. I asked a petite Italian girl if they had other sizes and she scurried off to the stockroom. 25 minutes I waited by the door to the service lift. It would've been a rum old do if it hadn't been for all the glorious men wandering around, checking out the clothes. Seriously, they were fine.

She finally came back with the right size, I headed off into the changing room and then fell in love with myself a little bit. Conceited it may be, but I really did look the nuts in that suit. So, I parted with 150 big ones (cheap really, for a decent suit) and that was that. Naturally, I spent a good hour looking at myself in the mirror when I got in.

And now I'm actually really looking forward to the interview - just so I can mooch around town looking like a City highflier!

But more importantly, I'll be back down Oxford Circus before you can say 'hunky men love the high street'. Forget Soho Square or Shadow Lounge - Topman is where all the hotties hang out.

No comments: