03 January 2007

Two out of three ain't bad

Went to see a lovely lawyer lady today.

Had to go through my Compromise Agreement with a solicitor ready for my redundancy next week. As I got myself a new (better) job I am going before the company wanted me to leave, but I still get the pay-off and therefore needed a legal eye to look through it.

She was very friendly indeed and made all the baffling jargon make sense. And she was also very enthusiastic about my new job and our conversation made me realise how excited I am about the (unexpected) change in career.

On the walk back to the office, I started thinking about the fact that once I am in the new job, I'll be in a position to start looking for somewhere else to live. Lodging with The Bear is now more dire than it's ever been before and I need to get out. Immediately, if not sooner.

So I am planning on signing up with the agents who got Snow her Crew Shond boudoir in the hope of getting a fabulous pad (shoebox) I can call my own.

Great. Things are looking up.

2007 is the year of a new job and a new home.

But, and there always has to be a but, my joint New Year's resolution with Doormouse was that 2007 is going to be the year we find gorgeous boyfriends who treat us well and buy us gifts.

If I have already secured one of the elusive three (job, home, man) and am pretty certain it's only be a matter of weeks before I get the second, am I expecting too much for wanting all of them?

The entire 12 months that were 2006 had a distinct lack of any of the three and I wonder if maybe I should just be satisfied with what I have got and not hanker after any more.

On the man front though, I have started a new hobby which is to smile at one stranger a day.

I did it this morning at a suited City hunk and he half-smiled back. It wasn't a full hey-sexy-man smile, but I think I threw him off by doing it in the first place. Londoners don't expect smiling strangers and they tend to be very suspicious.

I will keep on smiling and see what happens.

But I'm not going to expect too much.

Ooh, actually, maybe my future husband will be waiting for me in my new job.

And perhaps I could have an affair with a chap living in the building I am going to move into.

Yes, I will definitely not expect too much.

9 comments:

Eileen Dover said...

Do you have Craig's List over there? (www.craigslist.com)

There's a "Missed Encounters" place on the one here, where people can post 'in search of' ads for people they ran into or saw, but didn't get numbers or talk to.

Perhaps?

Denim Boy said...

Eileen: I'm not familiar with that site, but if we have it, I am sure the hunk-in-a-suit has already posted something along the lines of:

"To the tall, skinny chap in the second-hand jacket and rain-soaked hair stuck to his forehead walking along Cornhill this morning - if you ever walk past me in future, please do not smile at me again. You looked quite strange and it unnerved me."

Anonymous said...

Eileen, we get all websites over here. Duh. A couple of lavender mates of mine have a room just come up in Streatham if that helps. Doesn't help that I can't vouch for you as definitely not a homicidal maniac though...

Denim Boy said...

Fweng: Do you really think I'd survive in Streatham? I lived in Tooting for 2 years and I was lucky to get out alive then.

Anonymous said...

No problem. I don't know how they survive, to be honest. They make Christmas trees look butch.

Plus south London anyway. Urgh.

Redboy said...

Wasn't This Life a disappointment? Your Justin/broken arm incident reminded me of when I went to see him a few years back. I'd cut my hand open with a pint glass, and instead of visiting A&E, I went along to the concert, wincing with pain every time I clapped - but it was worth it to see him gyrating accross the stage!

JimmyD said...

http://london.craigslist.org/

Craig's List in EVERYWHERE!

Anonymous said...

I could always kick my flatmate out of the box room so you may move from The Bear house to Crew Shond. She is from Sheffield and very annoying with her microwave meals and her kick flair jeans! She has just finished being a student, last time I sublet one of the rooms to a student, lesson learned.

Denim Boy said...

Fweng: Thanks for the offer. Me and South London just don't mix.

Redboy: I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks a good night out is more important than health and safety.

Jimmy: Thanks! Have checked it out, but he has not yet put a comment on there. Maybe he's not been near a computer.

Mitzi: Thanks love. I definitely don't wear kick flair jeans.