08 January 2007

If your best friends can't tell you...

It's my last Monday in this office. I am very happy about this.

But that doesn't stop me from not wanting to be here today. I had much fun at the weekend and that always makes Mondays hard to cope with.

I popped for a couple of swift ciders with Doormouse to the Retro Bar on Friday and we put the world to rights. In an ideally fabulous world, we would have stayed out all night and ended up at Fiction, but the purse strings needed to be tightened after Christmas, so we had an early one.

Spent Saturday shopping for an outfit with my mum - she needs to wow everyone at my sister's surprise 30th birthday party this weekend - so I spent most of the day vetoing things and dressing her in what I wanted her to wear. Who cares what she wants as long as she looks good at the end of it?

Then it was onto Dame Saskia of Pinkdom's Highgate palace for an evening of fun with her and The Husband. The fun turned into debauchery and we drank our body weights in red wine and fell very heavily off the healthy-eating wagon.

When we woke up on Sunday, we jumped in my car and headed down the hill to Snow's Crew Shond pad for an extra day of hilarity. Seeing as Saskia and I had already gone down the chocolate path (that sounds ruder than it actually is), we stayed in the gutter and dragged Snow with us, ordering Domino's pizza and scoffing a box of choccies.

By the end of the session, we turned to New Year's resolutions and established that none of us had really made any. Saskia agreed that she would use 2007 to focus on her career and Snow decided that she was going to be more open to new experiences and say 'yes' more often.

When it came to my turn, I initially said that I was aiming to put the 'sex' back into homosexual. Saskia agreed, telling me I needed to get laid and Snow jumped in, adding that it was imperative I got some cock this year.

From this we discussed my life in general and my new job and possible new home.

I asked for advice on whether I should look to get a place of my own or look into doing a flat share and apart from the fact that both Saskia and Snow guffawed when I suggested I could live with strangers ("but you hate everyone," they said), they also raised issues with my ability to spend my money wisely and live without new purchases.

"You buy more clothes and skin care products than us two put together," Snow said.

"I think if you get a place on your own," added Saskia, "you won't have any money left over to buy fragrances or jumpers. And I don't think you could cope with that."

Well, naturally I jumped on the defensive at first.

"But I only buy all that stuff because I'm unhappy where I live," I protested. "I'd stop if I had bills to pay."

While that is true (when I did have my own flats, money always went on the important stuff before I bought treats - which were extremely rare), it made me think all the way home about my spending habits and I have to agree that they are quite right.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I move out and all the money I've been spending on new outfits, glossy mags and general presents to myself has to go on rent, bills and council tax.

I now have to weigh up what's more important: Can I continue living in my current situation so I can afford to treat myself, or do I need to get out and stop spunking my money?

I know I need to get out and be independent, but does living in London mean I will have to wear last winter's clothes while I'm doing it?

The prospect of living with The Bear indefinitely is beginning to look ever so slightly more attractive now.

9 comments:

Redboy said...

I fear the same thing - if I move to London, would I be able to go out there? If not, it defeats the object! As for your clothing budget, why move into town if you wont be able to look every part the dapper-urbanite?

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, if you don't continue to look good and treat yourself if and when needed / desired... it just won't be worth it, and you won't have any fun.

I like you the way you are, all decadent and resplendent with luxury items. :)

Anon Dirty said...

Fiction was closed on Friday. A group of my friends wandered over there only to be disappointed at the door.

I suppose Rollardisco was there for their entertainment.

Denim Boy said...

Redboy: I hear that. What's best - being stylish but living somewhere dire? Or having a great pad, but being too frightened to leave as you're wearing awful clothes?

LFM: Fun is what counts, isn't it? Thanks babes, I will take your advice and tell my advisers to screw themselves.

AD: Thank goodness we went home when we did. You know I would've ended up skating all night.

Redboy said...

Denim Boy, how'd you get your pic to appear when you post a comment? I have been trying for ages and can't seem to fathom how - please help.

Eileen Dover said...

I like to live simply...

...and shop well.

Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Just move to London, you raging Queen. Debt is just the Metrosexual's way of saying You're One Of Us Now.
Just think, you'll be living This Life, for real. Just without all the sex.

You get used to it.

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

Darling Denim,

Twenty Seven (2007) should be the year of The Cock for you. And I'm not talking Chinese new Year.

As for the living situation, cut to you living in a dumpster, smelling of the new Prada, with very moisturised skin....

Get your lavender tush into the Big Smoke.Oh come, it will be fun. I mean, you're gay Demin Boy. You're Marvin Gaye, so get your Homojo on.

Denim Boy said...

Redboy: Sadly, I'm probably the worst person to ask for advice on anything computer-related - it's a mystery to me how I'm even here doing this. I don't know the exact answer, but I'm sure if you look in the 'help' section and hunt around, it should have the answer. Or someone else may be able to tell you...

Eileen: Yes, I see what you mean. All I know is, I want your 'I'm Blogging This' t-shirt.

Fweng: I hear you. The Gays are not welcome in Small Town and I ain't getting The Sex there, so why not just relocate and be celibate elsewhere?

TM: I know, I know. Cut to me renting a shoe box in Hendon.