27 September 2006

How Many Ticks?

So, I am still alive after the Speed Dating event. I say 'alive'; I mean 'painfully hung over'.

Me and Doormouse got to the club just before 7pm - having stopped off at the pub for a bottle of wine between us - and we ran to the bar to get a couple of drinks. I knew at this point how the night was going to progress. We were given stickers with a number and a letter on - I was the first so I got 1A. Within about 20 minutes, everyone had arrived and so we had to sit at our allotted tables. This was when it dawned on me that I was about to sit and chat to 20 other guys I didn't know. I was glad to have a drink in my hand.

My first date was an American chap who was over here on business. He was so boring that I can't remember anything else that he said. After three minutes - although I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually three hours - a whistle was blown and we had to move on.

You do 7 dates, have a break, 7 more and another break and then the final 7 followed by more drinks if you want to stay. In between dates, you're supposed to jot down their name and a brief comment so you can remember them the next day when you go online and tick which ones you're interested in. For my first date, I called him 'The Yank' and the comment was 'Boring'.

Of the 21 guys I spoke to, I'd say I was not in the least bit interested in any of them. Some of them were OK, but others not so.

One guy obviously felt that I was also boring as halfway through our date, he got his phone out and started to send a text to his friend. Another guy sat down at the start of the date and then asked if he could move on to someone else before the time had even started. But my favourite has to be the lovely and jovial Keith who, when I asked him what he had done that day, said that just before he'd come along, he'd found out that his flatmate had skin cancer. Not sure that's the kind of information you want to hear on a date.

As for Doormouse - he got so drunk, I had to hold him up during the second break. He was falling all over the place and shouting "C*nt!" at everyone who would listen. Towards the end, we ended up having a date together too and when I asked him what he'd been putting on his card about the others, he realised that he'd not actually written a thing.

So, today is the day of reckoning. I'm just about to log onto their website to see if anyone's ticked me for friendship/dating or both.

I wonder whether Doormouse will get any ticks????

No comments: